View Single Post
Old 11-23-2017, 05:01 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Aspieman

Originally Posted by AlericB View Post
Hi Aspieman,

Going to a mindfulness class sounds a great idea to me. Mindfulness and AVRT both really helped me.

A definition of mindfulness I like is Jon-Kabat-Zinn's "Mindfulness is paying attention in a particular way: on purpose, in the present moment, and nonjudgmentally. And, I sometimes like to add, as if your life depends on it."

When applied specifically to cravings, mindfulness is sometimes called urge-surfing. Here's a link to a guided urge-surfing session by Sarah Bowan that I really like. It's only about 8 mins long.

I would be interested to hear how you got on if you do go, or on your views about the audio. No pressure there then!
Oh that's great thanks for the confirmation! I'm new to all this so I wasn't sure what to do for the best.

I'm not familiar with AVRT I'll do some research on that. I would definitely add "as if your life depends on it" because that is certainly true for me too. Urge-surfing sounds interesting. I'll definitely try the link you kindly provided when I get home thanks. I'm at work now (construction site) so it's too noisy and chaotic here.

So if you think mindfulness will be helpful I will look into times and places tonight and see how I get on, and I'll gladly give you my views on the audio later on tonight.
Thanks for taking the time to reply.