Old 11-19-2017, 04:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
PinnacleOR
The opposite of addiction is connection.

I am on Day 24 now. In my 30 year drinking career I went from denial to acceptance. All of my close friends and family know I am an alcoholic (through intervention or just by encounters, not really by admittance) and you know what? I am closer to them than ever. They wan to help, be supportive, and it's an awesome thing. Now when I have a relapse or am struggling, I can just tell the honest truth, and the freedom to be honest is such a liberating thing.

While there's no doubt being an alcoholic has royally screwed up my life in several ways, there are also things to be grateful for. I have explored my emotions and spirituality in ways I would never have if I wasn't an alcoholic. I am content with the little things in life and don't need what I thought I needed when I was younger. Waking up sober every day is a gift that I would not have appreciated had I not seen the evil depths of the other side. So when I hear the term "grateful alcoholic", I get it. Good luck with things, stay sober one breath, one hour, one day at a time and things WILL get better, I guarantee it.