View Single Post
Old 11-18-2017, 03:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
tnman1967

I did it without any 12 step, not saying that you shouldn't use a 12 step but my story is just to show my way of doing it. I have been sober now for more than four years and a 30 year career with drinking.

I quit numerous times over the years and stayed sober for one whole year back in 1996. I then began drinking again and continued until 2013. Why I don't know. I just picked it up again. I thought I could handle it I guess. What did I do different this time? Well, for me it meant taking a mental inventory and ask myself. Do I want to continue down this road of misery? Potentially loosing my marriage, job, freedom, health etc. Did I really enjoy the company I was keeping. Friends who were no more than drinking buddies who wouldn't recognize you outside a bar. Did I want to continue with declining health and increasing anxiety. Did I want to be controlled by the bottle and constantly thinking where and when my next drink would come my way. Go home from work and try to hide from my wife that I stopped at the bar for an hour and a half before she got home and gulped down four to five beers and then drive drunk. Well, I wasn't drunk since I had a high tolerance and could function, but as you know, no one should drive with that kind of blood alcohol level. The answer to all this was no. I was sick and tired of this lifestyle and I decided to quit once and for all and the BIG DIFFERENC. I did it for me not for my wife or anyone else. I truly wanted this. After dozens of failed attempts before that fateful day. Guess what? It worked. I haven't touched the stuff since July 20, 2013. I am a free man and I have never felt better or got more accomplished since I quit. Did this mean that all my problems went away and every day is sunshine.?No far from it, but like any spiritual person will tell you. It gave me the strength and a new will to live through any obstacles coming my way. I do have to work on this mental stuff a lot and always play the tape in my head. What would happen if I start drinking. We all know the answer to that. I will start nice and slow. I could probably enjoy and have fun with alcohol for maybe a month or even two. Then gradually my inner addictive voice will say. You got this, you can do this. There's no reason to call yourself an alcoholic anymore. Before long I would be back at it full force. Driving drunk, miserable hangovers and anxiety with financial problems like a letter in the mail. I say, choose life over the miserable experience of drinking. All these so called social drinkers are very seldom healthy drinkers. Not sure there's such a thing, but that's a debate for another day. Drinking to me is nothing but an endless prison sentence with no release date. Good luck to you and do this mental exercise and see if it could work for you. It won't cost a thing to try.