View Single Post
Old 10-03-2005, 03:40 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
NoMoBeer

Meeting makers make it!
I'm sorry, I couldn't resist -- JUST KIDDING!!! :joke:

Now, while I'm a firm believer in AA and that whole enchilada, I say whatever works -- but work it!!! I'm sorry to say that so many people disapprove of a program, but have never even made an attempt at working it -- what a concept!

I guarantee if I read a book on SMART, or cognitive therapy, there must be some kind of action associated with it... if I don't act and take some personal responsibility for my self, I probably will not get much in the way of results...

I have to say that I, too, get uncomfortable when folks start riding me at meetings (and I go to some pretty 'intimate' meetings, meaning we all know each other pretty well). Yes, my sobriety comes FIRST in all areas, but I train my ass off during the week, and unfortunately my meeting time suffers (I also have to work, spend time with my family, etc.). It's all about balance. I think my sponsor is understanding that about me. But again, if I blow off my meetings (or the work associated with my chosen program, because I have things I need to do and live every day to stay sober) I WILL get myself into trouble.

Hope that makes sense -- bottom line is that you need to do the footwork, no matter what program you choose.

Tink -- side note, it's curious that meetings make you crave. I felt the same way for a while when I was 'in and out' of sobriety. For some reason, the switch got flipped (well, I know why, but I can't be discussing my 'spiritual' beliefs on this type of thread) and now I know that only I can make me crave... interesting, never thought others had that happen...

Enough from me -- I'm rambling!

Ken