View Single Post
Old 11-15-2017, 10:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
MindfulMan
No Dogma Please

Everybody's different.

My friends were extremely supportive in my initial sobriety, many came to my rehab every Sunday for visiting hours when knew that needed to know where I was going, so they wouldn't think I'd disappeared or died. I wasn't all that rational at that point, which may have ended up working in my favor.

I don't have a problem being around alcohol. I'm done with it. So I can go out with friends, eat at a bar, and talk to them while they have a cocktail or two, and have no cravings to drink myself. I love to cook and pair wine with food, and I can serve wine to friends and have no desire to drink it myself.

I'm VERY lucky, but I STILL ALWAYS have an exit plan. I've also explained ahead of time that I may need to leave suddenly, and they'd bail with me, no questions asked.

Everybody's different. You'll figure it out. If you can't be around alcohol, at least some of your true friends will understand and comply. If they are heavy drinkers and can't, they are not people you need to be around any more