View Single Post
Old 11-05-2017, 04:08 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Stayingsassy

Originally Posted by Sohard View Post
And I can see why that would help. And I'm so grateful to be sober, even if it's only been five days. The thing is, I've spent so much of my life escaping into the wine bottle. It's like, that's the me I know. This me here, I don't really know. As much as I love not drinking, I feel anxious because I want to have a bottle of wine and become the me I know. Even if I'm just sitting here watching TV drinking wine, it's like I recognize that state of mind, I don't recognize this one. So strange. This is actually harder than when I went out with my family yesterday and they drank. Because so much of my drinking has been solo. It's in times like this I want it the most.
You’re not alone in that feeling. One thing taking away the drink does is force us to recognize what it is we need in our life. Filling it up with alcohol is so easy. And for alcoholics it’s effective. It always puts life on hold, though. It puts you on hold. The “me” you miss with wine isn’t actually you. You miss an illusion. If you do the work to be sober and fill your life with people who are also sober, you will find out who you are. You knew her before....before wine claimed her, it’s just time to find her again.