View Single Post
Old 11-05-2017, 05:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Mark1014

Congratulations Kit in your 24 days. Closing in on a solid month you are!

I had about the same amount of sober time as you when the holiday season came around. I planned my participation and length of stay in all festivities through the filter of maintaining/not threatening my fledgling sobriety. I didn't attend any New Year's Eve parties and treated it like any other evening....with purpose I kept my mind away from what my AV suggested I was missing out on and as I recall actually went to bed pretty early.

Waking New Year's Day. Oh how quietly serene it was to wake and lie there in the still of the morning feeling good about myself. The first hours of the first day of the new year feeling good....what a concept.

Historically the day itself generally meant football and beer for me at my brother's place. Instead we stayed home and I made a big breakfast for my girls. I spent a little time thinking about the year to come and changes I needed to make, goals etc.. I made specific plans to follow through with some things I'd long wanted to do travel wise and set it on the calendar. Something to look forward to. (I followed through with it as well, now a cherished memory) Later in the day a relaxed meal was shared with some of my family. Also I followed through and actually contacted a few special people (long overdue) to wish them the best in the new year.

Being a quiet sort of guy, that was enough merriment for me at that stage.

Whatever you plan to do New Year's Day I hope you'll surround yourself with dear ones that are a positive influence and supportive of your efforts.

Congrats again Kit.