View Single Post
Old 11-05-2017, 05:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
biminiblue

I don't have any family left so all the holidays are just another day for me. When I was drinking that used to make me feel sad - but these days I'm grateful to still be alive and able to care for myself after all the years of craziness. Who would have believed I would live this long??

I don't even accept invitations to other peoples' houses for holidays anymore, because I'd rather have my own food and not have to get involved in peoples' family dramas.

New Years Eve the last few years I've bought steak, potato, made a salad, later a bag of mixed nuts in shells, a bottle of sparkling cider, some eggnog for my latte and I've watched "Phantom of the Opera" on DVD, and then I'm in bed by 9PM. It is a satisfying way to be safe and comfortable. I am at the point in my life where I completely enjoy my own company and don't need or want a lot of social events. It's not my thing. Give me food and warmth and the promise of a long walk the next morning and all is good.

I was never much of a holiday drinker, though. I was one of those who always said, "New Year's Eve (and St. Patricks Day, and Cinco de Mayo) are for amateurs." I never wanted to be out on the street with the holiday drinker/drivers.