View Single Post
Old 11-05-2017, 05:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
tnek97

NYE used to be my "favorite" holiday, because it was an excuse to get plastered. Sure, I did have fun with friends, and we typically made a huge night out of it, lots of dancing, and fireworks. If I wasn't an alcoholic, and could have gotten through the night with a couple drinks, maybe I'd still celebrate that way.

But I am an alcoholic, and despite how fun that sounds, it always ended with someone being way too drunk, people yelling, and a massive hangover.

So the past two years I've forgone NYE, and instead celebrated sunrise on new years day. For me, it is so much more significant. I live an hours drive from the Atlantic coast, so I am fortunate enough to watch the sunrise from the beach. But I would recommend this to anyone, beach or not. It is very quiet out on new years morning, last year I had the beach entirely to myself. It can be a very powerful moment, to welcome the new year with the first sunrise, sober, present, and at peace in your mind. No hangover, no struggle, no regret.

I'll be doing it again this year, and hopefully every year from here on out. Make a nice dinner on NYE, watch a great movie, go to bed at a decent time, then up before dawn.