View Single Post
Old 11-05-2017, 04:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Getbetter72

New Year's isn't my danger zone, it's definitely Thanksgiving and Christmas. Just will surround myself with non-drinking Christian people to strengthen me. Because I have essentially no family left save for an aunt in Philly (about 4 hours away although I'll drive it if invited) and my GF lives 3 hours away I may be alone for the actual holiday. That often happens, she will spend the actual holiday with her family then come here the next day for a long weekend.
Thanksgiving this year will be particularly difficult because it is also my birthday. Use my strategies, color, work a puzzle, get lost in a book. So the thread is I think to include strategies. I have a tracking system so that I can relate my moods and urge level to specific strategies. What works, what doesn't work. Then I journal on that. So my current strategies in no particular order:
1. Meditate
2. Read
3. Color (the adult coloring books with complex detailed drawings, not like Scooby Doo or something like that, lol)
4. Play drums
5. Get something accomplished (like clean something, work on the fish tanks, get a home improvement project done or started)
6. Call a support system
7. Work on my book (writing a book about setting goals for success with God's help)
8. Work a puzzle (working on a 3,000 piece puzzle. For the last 4 years, lol)
9. Journal
10. Watch a Good Mythical Morning video (funny comedy duo on YouTube)
So there you go! Maybe you can use one of the above but regardless definitely add some more!