View Single Post
Old 11-04-2017, 09:44 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
peaceofpi

I'm sorry that you're missing your daughter, and I'm sorry for the situation with your 3YO and AW.
Leaving an alcoholic spouse can be a difficult decision when you have kids. Many people wrongly assume courts protect kids. The truth is the child faces a huge risk: Courts routinely award both parents - even alcoholic, incapacitated, abusive ones - parenting time. Often with no boundaries of safety. It's my experience that it's difficult to get supervised visitation to protect a child. Best I've been able to get, even with multiple issues, is Soberlink testing with (finally, after a year of court order violations) supervision if XAH fails during possession.
Even with Soberlink, it's possible for alcoholics to get around the testing by blowing and then drinking some, and addicts can find substitutes for alcohol, like opiates, so .. yay. It's terrifying to be forced to leave your child with a person who's incapacitated, perhaps enraged from not getting to drink, abusive, with few boundaries, and with no buffer of another parent present to protect them during overnight and multi-day stays. There truly aren't good options in our present legal environment. Staying or leaving - it's no-win either way.
I hear your frustration, and I pray you can figure out a way to protect your young child. I also hear the concern from the other posters. I do want the other posters to know there are many factors in leaving, and it's a false assumption that family courts protect children from abusive alcoholics.