View Single Post
Old 11-02-2017, 11:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
calvinm16

Ryan it's good you're acknowledging you have a problem. If you're scared of dying a fifth of liquor a day will do the job pretty quick. My brother got VERY close to liver failure from 24 beers a day and now has been sober 9 years. I'm almost at the big 90 day mark after drinking pretty heavily for about 5 years as well. So we do have that in common.

One thing I can say is you sound kind of like me, you're thinking really far ahead and actually already planning to drink. You're literally telling yourself you can't do something without a drink. If you're anything like me you could be just self medicating anxiety? When you look far into the future and actually plan out things prior to them happening you're likely facing anxiety.

The best thing you can do is now that you're 48 hours in which is GREAT you can make the choice now to stop. You set the ultimatum for November 1st 2017. Make it happen.

I promise you if you're anything like me, give it even a month of sobriety and you won't want to go back.

The worst cravings and mental / physical withdrawal only lasted a couple weeks, if you are feeling pins&needles, fatigue you're probably ravenous for carbohydrates & sugar. One thing I can say is our bodies crave all those calories, carbs & sugars that the alcohol provided. 1 oz of standard liquor has ~70 calories. That means 1 fifth = ~1,750 calories. Not to mention all the sugar & carbs.

My way of getting past the initial withdraws was snickers bars, pepsi, chips whatever it took to feel good. This only lasted a couple weeks lol so I didn't gain any weight from it since I was legitimately just eating the same amount of calories etc as when I was downing beer & liquor.

You can stop drinking you just have to start now and not go back, if you keep going back you'll never feel truly happy and that's why I'm assuming you're here. You're not happy with your drinking and obviously you mention you don't want to die, a fast track to death and disease is drinking excessive amounts of alcohol on a weekly basis.