View Single Post
Old 10-01-2005, 10:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
New2Sobriety

He has had his medical license taken away and I feel that nothing is going to stop him from drinking.
If your children's father had a medical license which was revoked, then he knows doubly about the dangers of what he is doing. It's not like he is an uneducated drunk living in the streets, oblivious to what he is doing.

I believe he will have to hit rock bottom by himself. If this means you must cut yourself off from him, then so be it. Do you ever watch that show "Intervention"? The family members of the addict must literally address the addict and let them know, that if they don't seek help this very minute, that the addict will no longer have the family to turn to. And the family must be united and actually go forward with shutting off all communication with the addict. Sometimes the addict agrees with the intervention and goes to treatment, sometimes they say "Hell no!" and walk away from the intervention. However, at that point, when the addict realizes they no longer have any friends or family to lean on for whatever support they need, be it financial, emotional, etc., they realize this is the time they must help themselves. If they truly want the love and support from their family and friends, they go to rehab. I think this is the point most addicts have to reach before they will climb out of the garbage can.

We had a doctor in residency in the ER I worked who refused to quit smoking pot. Everyone knew he smoked dope and they continually let him go on with his residency. No one knew if he was under the influence or not when he was treating patients. However, his work reflected that he was using..he didn't complete assignments and didn't show up for necessary meetings, and finally, after several repeated warnings, he was kicked out of the program. The ER told him, much like an intervention, you either straighten up or you're out of our program! He chose not to straighten up, so they made good on their promise. This is what family and friends have to do also.

It's called Tough Love. It works.

Hope this helps.