View Single Post
Old 10-29-2017, 12:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SoberCAH

The fact that you go to such efforts to quit, only to start (and then quit) again, makes it appear as if you cannot control your drinking.

People who do not have drinking problems don't go through these types of gymnastics to avoid alcohol.

They simply don't drink.

My wife would never, ever drink in front of me, but one or twice a year (or over a 2-year period), she will have a beer of glass of wine (usually "half" of either beverages).

She never thinks about it in between.

Alcohol has cost her no consequences in her entire life.

If her primary care doctor told her today she could never drink as a result of some unrelated condition, she could effortlessly cease doing so ever again.

It tends to be people like you typically find on SR who outline strategies and efforts to control drinking or quit drinking, along with the inexorable failures which follow every attempt (like the ones you have outlined).

Then the consequences become more costly and the periods of no alcohol become shorter.

And then everything seems to pile up on us, with alcohol being the apparent cause of our dire circumstances.

We're certainly glad you're here and we wish you well.

I hope you are able to decide from the evidence you outlined that you may need permanently quit drinking.