Old 10-26-2017, 02:11 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I have heard of AA widows so mayber there are SR widows too? One thing I often hear partners can feel is a sense of envy. They know the drinker best, have spent years putting up with it, trying to help, they have suffered in all sorts of ways, and then along comes AA or SR, and not only seems to solve the problem, but seems to get all the attention the partner feels they should get. It is understandable , and the problem usually fixes itself as the drinker recovers and gets some balance back in their lives.

I have been married in sobriety and had two long term relationships all with women who were social drinkers.their drinking has never been an issue. They might have a wine with dinner, while I might have water or a soft drink or nothing at all. It is no big deal. My problem is not their problem, in fact it is not even a problem for me. It never occurs to me to drink, or to try and change their habits.

Another area that can be difficult for partners is that some alcoholics, dry but not recovering, can be very hard to live with. Many an AA, including me, have owned up to that one. Stopping drinking is just the beginning.