Old 10-21-2017, 04:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SoloMio

I can totally relate.. My AH shirts were so starched they could stand up by themselves. (and he would yell at me if I failed in my duties to starch them heavily enough.)

He had a Porsche convertible when he picked me up for our first dates.. but it would break down regularly, and he'd have to get under the car to fix it in his expensive clothes.

The finances.. oh, boy. He was ALWAYS the big shot--buying the rounds, buying the dinners--but every credit card was aways on the verge of being declined. Our house went into foreclosure, and we wound up with no credit at all.

He has a great sense of humor and always came off a little Gatsby-esque. Cool, rich. But it was such a sham and a house of cards, and it came down. Now he does nothing but watch TV and drink. He lost his business 10 years ago because of the drinking. His starched shirts have been replaced with old polo shirts with holes and stains from when the food doesn't quite make it to his mouth. The money... there is none. I pay the mortgage and basic bills, but we are in our 60s and have no savings. His friends? He has none. Some are dead. He doesn't have the energy to nurture the others. His bar life, filled with jokes and friends and big tabs has been replaced with buying bottles of cheap vodka and drinking alone in his office.

So, everything that goes around comes around. You can't live a lie forever.

My mother used to tell me "Watch out of for the guy with the clean shirt and dirty undershirt." It was her way of saying exactly what kodi said: All the glitter is NOT gold.

It's maddening, but try not to let it get to you. Every dog has his day.