View Single Post
Old 10-18-2017, 07:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Meraviglioso

Welcome to SR and good luck today with your procedure. I have taken antabuse in the past and have recently started back on it. I unfortunately have tested it- after about a week of being off it- and trust me, it is not pretty. I do like having it as extra backup. I will warn you though, there is no magic pill for alcoholism and having a solid recovery plan is essential. You say now you won't drink on the medication and I believe you and believe that you believe that, but you just never know where this crazy and persistent disease will take you. I never, ever thought I would drink on it either, but found myself "testing the waters" at times while on a full dose (sips here and there) and then on several occasions full on drinking when I knew full well it was not completely out of my system. So yes, while I do rely on the medication at some level I also am making sure my recovery plan is rock solid because I know this disease is not to be trusted.
I'll be very curious to hear how you feel in the coming weeks. I think most people have no side effects, or minimal ones. I have an issue with drowsiness, but think I have found the magic hour to take the pill so that the drowsiness arrives just as I am going to bed. That said, taking the pill each day- in front of someone as it is directed to do- is annoying and cumbersome at times. An implant would take all that off the shelf.

Best of luck to you, do check back in!