Thread: Who am I?
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2017, 12:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Berrybean

I remember feeling this way (and had already been reminded of this last night by someone else sharing the exact same fear at a meeting last night). It is something many others have gone through and will be happy to talk about at your meetings and on here to help you through it.

I've heard this being spoken of as being scared that, when drinking and our old character defects and resentments go, what will be left? Will we disappear like the hole in a polo mint? Thing is, we're not really like polo mints. More like butterflys waiting to emerge from our crusty old shells.

It was either Earl Hightower or Sandy Beach who spoke of being like a block made up of all those character defects, resentments, rage, etc. Recovery is like chipping away at that statue. Our worst fear is that there will be nothing inside. The chipping away (as we do honest inventories and the like hurts, and we feel fear, and want to stop or slow down. But as we chip away and catch a glimse of the beautiful statue underneath we do start getting braver and more enthusiastic about that work.

I've never met anyone yet who doesn't like who they are in recovery much. much more than the person they invented to hide behind. And once we can like and love ourselves, we can start really accepting the love of others, and being genuinely loving to others. It's all pretty amazing. But yes, scary at first. I'll try and find the speaker recording with the statue analogy on it for you as I've explained it pretty poorly, but at the time when I was going through those fears it really helped me to listen to that speaker recoding.

Wishing you all the best in your recovery and sobriety. BB