View Single Post
Old 10-11-2017, 11:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Clover71

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
BB asks some very good questions.

as with anything, we must first resolve what is OUR motivation for a proposed action. you already stated there is nothing THEY can do about HIS problem, any more than you. chances are good that this isn't as big a secret as you think it is......unless he has lived on a different continent from his family for the past ten years and has very limited contact, it's likely his mother and sister are not completely in the dark.
but then again, they may be unaware and they may wish to STAY THAT WAY.

putting him and his family aside for a moment, now that you have come to accept that he does have a drinking problem, what do you need to do FOR you? what support are you getting? what steps are you taking? remember to airplane rule and put on your own oxygen mask FIRST!!!!
They actually do not know. We haven't been living near family. My motivation came from reading some different threads. Some suggested that it's better to talk about it now rather than to drop a bomb later. Honestly, I don't think I would ever discuss a reason for separation with his family.

I did have some Individual counseling last year, and I was able to secure a half way decent job which starts next month. I was a stay at home mom and then was underemployed, so I'm working on a career and financial independence right now.