View Single Post
Old 09-29-2005, 05:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
abtchonamission

Hi Leslee, welcome to SR...
My fiance is using methadone in recovery...prescribed by a doctor, and, with a little faith, again only using it as prescribed.
Many people seem to have differing opinions on methadone's uses as a way to treat addiction. And, all are entitled to their opinions. My take on it, after long discussion with my fiance, with a substance abuse counselor, and reading opinion's of others here as well, is that it can be an effective way of treating narcotic addiction. Unfortunately, it is also a narcotic, it is addictive in itself, and can be abused. I can't begin to say that your mother should or shouldn't make an effort with methadone. Whether or not it works for her is pretty much dependent upon whether she wants to live a better life or not, IMO. IF she is taking it ONLY as the physician prescribes, on an amount that doesn't get her high, but 'blocks' withdrawal and cravings for other drugs, my understanding is that yes, it can be an effective treatment.
What it really comes down to, is that if she wants to stop abusing narcotics, she will find her way. You can't do it for her, and you can't control how she does it.

Now, what about you? There are plenty of options for you to make YOUR life better, whether your mom handles her issues or not. Have you been to any face to face meetings - Nar-anon, Al-anon, ACOA? These are really, really good tools for you to find face to face support for your own issues, your own hurts and triumphs, as addiction and alcoholism are family diseases - meaning that you never have to pick up any substance yourself, the pain of these diseases still affects your life. There are also some sticky posts at the beginning of each of the family forums here (Nar-anon, Friends and Family of Alcoholics, and ACoA) that are filled with valuable information. Please take a look at them, it might help, and definitely won't hurt.
You've found a great place to locate support. There are so many of us here who care about someone who has a substance abuse issue...you'll find that we all understand what you are going through, and what you are dealing with. Keep coming back, keep reading, and keep posting. This website is a great place...but, you'll find that out for yourself if you just stick around.

Trisha