Thread: Brand new
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2017, 02:52 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Stayingsassy

Originally Posted by Sohard View Post
Okay. Thanks. Then, I'm wondering...how long did it take you to "surrender"? Obviously everyone is different, but I'm just curious about times. I mean, I can't imagine most people "surrender" on day 1 of rehab or they'd be able to head home after detoxing. And I'm obviously trying so hard and not drinking now, but I don't feel I've "surrendered".
I'm only on day 15. Every day I surrender. I'm just coming into sobriety again, so I'm still in a sober box I've locked myself into. It's still grey walls and barred windows. But I'm starting to hear some birds outside, some signs of life out there. I might open those windows soon, maybe even venture outside to feel my feet on the grass.

Still reeling from my last drunk, though, so still hunched over in my box. Going to work, going to AA, going to the gym, doing family stuff, but it's rote and going through the motions because right now 1. I'm sober and 2. Deathly afraid of relapsing.

When you're that ready, you'll know. For now, why don't you give yourself a sober goal, lots of people do 30 days. The wine will always be there. Friends and family will be there holding their glasses. If your brain won't let up, maybe just trick it into believing it's a sober detox. Then see how you're feeling in four weeks: I'll bet, a lot better than you feel today.