View Single Post
Old 10-09-2017, 01:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
CRRHCC

Originally Posted by Stacy0701 View Post
On Labor Day weekend my husband decided to quit drinking! On Saturday it was 5 weeks. Today he is off from work & my kids are home from fall break. I have a 17 year old daughter & a 7 year old son. I told my daughter that her Dad was trying hard to quit drinking & that it has been 5 weeks & that we were in counseling. Today she took a picture of a beer in our freezer & being sarcastic asked me if it was mine knowing full well it was not! I am at work & so mad! Hopefully we can talk when I get home from work for if he only had one O.K but to go back after 5 weeks just kills me. Plus let's not pretend we quit & go behind my back while I tell you how proud I am of you! Plus my heart just breaks for my daughter for every time he says he is going to quit, he doesn't & she has just given up on him & it makes me so sad! He just got a promotion from work & things seemed to be going in the right direction but he does not share with me so I would never know how he was feeling! So frustrated & now I have to work! Grrrrr!
Your husband is compulsively drinking to regain control over his feelings, an emotional state. It may not make sense to an non alcohol but alcoholics drink to regain control of how they feel, to empower themselves and escape the trap of how they feel. It works quite well in the short term. I was on autopilot with this type of corrupted thinking for 44 years (quick fix or mood changer of drugs and booze). Talk about it in counseling. Confront him with kindness and respect. With counseling he can learn to regain control of his feelings with more healthy behaviors.