Old 10-06-2017, 02:21 PM
  # 169 (permalink)  
BrandNewLife

Originally Posted by juliaclare20 View Post
Hi! I'm new to this forum, and new to attempted sobriety. I'm 35 and have been a heavy drinker for 12-15 years. I usually drink 1-2 bottles of wine, or 6-8 beers a night. Of course, there's the one or two days a week that I really get it done. I've known I'm dependent for a long time. I'm afraid to let myself down, so I haven't committed. I thought it might help me to put out there the reasons why I think drinking has hurt me...

- I have so many interests that have gone by the wayside. If I'm not working, I'm drinking. There's no time to dedicate to things I was once interested in. I've become a piece of ****.

- I've gained weight, and lost motivation to exercise. I used to be health conscious and a lot better looking. I was a college athlete, and then an avid hiker and skier in my 20s. At first I would hike and then drink, then I started packing a couple beers for the summit to drink, and now I just pass on the hike altogether and drink instead. I find that I say "I used to be" a lot.

- I have a good job. I don't know who thought I deserved it, but here I am with a good job. I work out of town in the summers and drive a government rig 4.5 miles north. I drink en route- put wine in a metal water bottle. I have a remote office, so I'm alone. I've started drinking mid-day while I'm working. When I'm at home in the city, I've called in due to hangovers. As I type this, I'm cringing.

- I still have hopes and dreams, but they're shrouded in doubt. I bought vacant land near a small town I've always wanted to live in this summer. 10 years ago I would've been ecstatic. I would've quit my job and gone in 100%. I worry now that I don't have the motivation to build the dream I've had for 10+ years when it's right there waiting to be actualized.

I decided to try the sober October thing. I started Monday. This is day 5 sober. Other than not being able to sleep, and feeling distracted enough to be unproductive at work, I feel okay. I've been meditating a lot. It's Friday, and I'm about to hit the road back home- my 4.5 hour drive. No booze this time. I'm worried about the weekend. I'm glad I found this forum.
Welcome! Congrats on day 5! Everything you describe is so familiar. We think we have it under control, but it’s ruling our life. At the end of my worst drinking period I kept trying to find a way just to be “comfortably numb” all the time. As my tolerance built, I just kept drinking more and more thinking I could handle it. Then just flip over the edge to passed out or blacked out.