View Single Post
Old 09-28-2005, 08:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
brdlvr2

I too find it baffaling. My xabf has been homeless, in and out of jail (dui's not showing up for court or probation), lost his kids from prior marriage, estranged from his family, lost my love for him, no license, always broke, health problems so bad doc said if he keeps drinking he won't make another year, no real job, no possessions etc. Yet he still drinks. Blames me and everybody else for his problems. I tried so many times to get him to tell me Why in the world does he still do it? He said he doesn't know, just that he hates his life so much he just wants to escape (with help of vodka). Seems some can't make the connection between the booze and the way life is for them. However,

He is an alcoholic. He doesn't think like I do. He is making choices, just like I am. He has every right to live in whatever way he chooses. I don't like his choices, so I don't share his life. If he wants to drink himself to death - his choice.
Good point Minnie, I need to get this through my head. True, I am not with him anymore, but I still sometimes try get through to him what he's doing to his life and how he can change it. Need to work more on Letting Go and Letting God