View Single Post
Old 09-29-2017, 03:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
nmd

Yes we used to drink together. Some of the hardest times i have had was with comments she made early on about how she want "us to be able to have a drink together". Or she didnt want me to ask her to quit. (I wasn't, but she's a heavy drinker and sensed it was a risk) She had to accept my getting sober, with no if and or buts. I've had to separate my concern about her drinking from dealing with my own.

It would have been helpful for me if there wasnt drinking in the house, but I might have felt funny if she was always avoiding drinking and going out to do it without me as well. I don't know if it was triggering as much as it was a problem for me when I was at my weakest. I i relapsed many many times before getting any real sober time and I might not have if drinks weren't right there.

The big thing was my learning to find my sobriety and my wife accepting it without reservations. I had to choose to not pick up a drink no matter what. I also wish she would quit drinking and we have talked about it, but I accept I cant do that for her.