View Single Post
Old 09-25-2017, 11:27 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
theuncertainty

I'm sorry if I missed that info in reading through the threads, Becki.

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
there is something that I often notice....that, the alcoholic will offer to go to "counseling" (and medication from a medical doctor) in order to satisfy others that are on their case about the drinking and unacceptable behaviors.....
I think that this is a maneuver to avoid directly addressing the drinking issue...
My experience with AXH and rehab is actually similar to what Dandy pointed out. When I finally filed for divorce, AXH had made it at least part-way through a 28- or 30-day program. (Though he was back a bit too early for 28 days.) And he quit the aftercare program to "attend AA instead."

The most telling statement from him was when he was asked why he wouldn't agree to testing in order to prove to the court, and to me, that he was actually clean and sober as part of his request to relax the supervision requirements on his visits with DS, "It's my problem. I don't want anyone else to have...I mean.... I've done everything everyone has asked me to do!" So effectively, the rehab and saying he was going to AA were all to get different people of his back. And he was actually POd that people kept asking that he keep maintaining sobriety.