View Single Post
Old 09-22-2017, 03:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
dandylion
Community Greeter

Becki.....there is something that I often notice....that, the alcoholic will offer to go to "counseling" (and medication from a medical doctor) in order to satisfy others that are on their case about the drinking and unacceptable behaviors.....
I think that this is a maneuver to avoid directly addressing the drinking issue...
specifically to avoid AA or any program with the word "alcohol" in it.
I think that it is like a sort of "olive branch" to appease...and, it usually works, because the partner is so thrilled that they are making a move to do something that they accept this with renewed enthusiasm and hope.....
***Note that the counselor that they seek out, is often a generalist, and NOT a certified alcoholism counselor...Important difference. The alcoholic can often pull the wool over the eyes of a counselor or therapist who is not especially trained in addiction!
Now...I am not saying that there is anything wrong with seeing a counselor or therapist....in fact, it is a good thing...as long as they are attending an alcoholism program, also. In fact, there are, often co-occurring condistion, alon witht he alcoholim...like, depression, anxiety, ptsd, untreated ADHD, etc....
And, seeing a medical doctor and prescribed medication, where needed are all good things.....
As long as these things are not a slick move to avoid the core issue...that they can never drink, again, and need to work a vigorous program, like AA,....in order to make life changes...to change their thinking, attitude and behaviors, as they put down the bottle......

I'm just saying......