View Single Post
Old 09-22-2017, 09:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
biminiblue

Originally Posted by hearthealth View Post
Becki, Sounds like it's all talk. IME, even if he would stop drinking today, in four months he could choose to start drinking again. Getting back together has it's difficulties. How would you feel? What would you do? The merry go round will begin again, without a solid plan and a solid year from the qualifier.
ha. Yeah, I'm the one who said, "You can always get back together."

He's not going to be able to maintain any kind of sobriety, I would bet.

For the record, the first alcoholic I got involved with was also physically abusive. I packed up and left while he was at work and never talked to him again. The second one I did the same thing. They had major control and entitlement issues.

The one I married - it was harder, he was basically kind and not abusive and just had a substance problem (among many problems) and I did go back to it a couple times because I felt sorry for him and because he was willing to go to therapy with me and we were married. I didn't need to do that - nothing really changed, it was all manipulation. Or something, I have no idea what.

I never remarried and that was over 30 years ago - BUT! I am really good at seeing red flags and I bolt at the first sign of abuse or addiction, and never talk to them again. Getting put in the hospital will do that for ya.