View Single Post
Old 09-21-2017, 06:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
site1Q84

Originally Posted by SaturatedSeize View Post
I made the mistake of checking her Instagram last night when I was rolling around, it's the only way I can see into her life at all these days. She posted she hopes this next year is better then the last. That was a knife twisting in my heart as I was a HUGE part of her and her daughter's last year. We had so many more good times amongst the bad, but the bad defined the year for her. .
I'm so sorry you're having a tough day. I'm glad you came to post though. Sometimes just saying things out loud (or typing them, in this case) takes away so much of their power.

Just because she feels the last year was difficult doesn't mean she doesn't remember the good times you had. Don't let it hurt you too much - I hope every year is better than the last, even when the last one was good!

I wouldn't worry too much about the gifts either. Maybe it was a bad idea, but nothing can be done about it now. Even if she throws them away or is upset by them I'm sure someday she'll come to realize you weren't trying to hurt her, just show her you care.

It's hard to find that line between being selfish and thoughtful in these types of situations. You never really know how someone else will see your gestures. "We judge ourselves based on our intentions, but we judge others based on their actions" - I can't remember who said it but I think about that a lot when I start to think I know WHY someone else did something, because you never really do.