Old 09-20-2017, 07:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Not drinking, just for today, is not AA program, merely a strategy for the first few days to try and get clear of withdrawals, get our heads clear, and begin some action on recovery. I never had any trouble stopping just for today, but I couldn't sustain it and stay stopped.

And that it was I needed to do, stop for good. Permanent abstinence is the only way to combat the phenomenon of craving that has been killing us.

AA is about permanent recovery. The book never talks about not drinking one day at a time. It doesn't even say don't drink. Instead It talks about a wonderful way of life as recovered alcoholics for whom the obsession has been removed. It does say we are not cured, that what we really have is a daily reprieve contingent on the maintenance of our spiritual condition., and it gives us the means to do that by teaching us how to live life one day at a time.

The first thing I do when I wake in the morning is to think about my plans for the day, with a little prayer that my thinking be cleared from self pity, dishonest or self seeeking motives. It never occurs to me to ask for another day sober, or to try and decide whether or not I will drink today. That problem was removed long ago, just as promised in the book. Freedom from alcohol is what the program offers, which also means my thoughts are free of the idea of drinking, that alcohol has no influence in my life. You can read the AA 24 hour plan on pages 86-88.