Old 09-19-2017, 08:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
MindfulMan
No Dogma Please

For me, it was inpatient detox and rehab, where I surrendered to the idea that I could not drink again, ever. That first step was the biggest. You're probably not there (yet), and may never be.

Using hangovers and feeling like a slime mold after drinking did not work for me. At all. I did that for years. Rinse, lather, repeat. I'm sure all of those detoxes has done a number on my body.

I worked rehab, and came out with a good initial sobriety plan. I'm in cognitive group IOP now, for another 2 weeks. This has proven to be life-changing. I feel so much stronger, and will come up with a continued sobriety plan.

I was put into rehab by a psychiatrist (well, STRONGLY suggested). As soon as I got out, I had an appointment to restart medications that I'd stop taking, and I really needed. Rehab involved a ton of AA meetings, and I started going on my own about a month after rehab ended, I had to get through some pretty serious depression first.

That's what worked for me. My question to you is...do you REALLY want to stop? First step is admitting you're an addict, second is surrendering the idea that you can drink normally. Third is getting some kind of help to get and remain sober.

Are you drinking closer to 3 or 6 beers a day? Honestly? (we all tend to underestimate). How much have you drunk in the past, and for how long? Is that enough to admit you're an alcoholic? My guess, since you're here and asking advice on how to stop drinking daily, or at all, that the answer is yes.