View Single Post
Old 09-27-2005, 05:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
GettingBy

When I began recovery I was manifesting physical symptoms caused by stress. That was a wake up call for me as I take my health fairly seriously.
I think that's probably true for alot of people. It certainly was for me. I had lost a significant amount of weight from the stress I was under. My hair was falling out and I couldn't keep food down even if I wanted to. I didn't trust myself behind the wheel of my truck. I wanted so badly to drive myself into any solid structure I could find. I just couldn't handle life anymore and everything seemed hopeless. The disease had taken me hostage, and fortunately, Al-anon set me free.

I had no clue how much richer life could be. Al-anon has changed my general outlook on and approach to life. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, I do has changed. I'm a better person. I love myself for that. My weight is back up, my hair is coming back (and staying put!), and I no longer have the urge to drive my car into a telephone poll. My life is manageable and things are no longer hopeless. One day at a time keeps me right where I need to be.

I could have died from this disease, and what a shame that would have been.

Thanks for being here... it's this community that saves us all,
Shannon