Old 09-19-2017, 02:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
sobersolstice

Do you feel you need to change many things in your life to stay sober?

I'm starting to feel as though I need to make enormous changes in my lifestyle in order to remain sober. I feel like life patterns, associations, and mental state, etc., all need to change drastically in order for sobriety to be of priority. My main goal is to be healthy, so I still do my kale smoothies, eat relatively well, and work a physical job. I definitely need to exercise more in place of drinking in the evenings.

One of the most difficult parts of quitting for me at the moment is that I'm able to drink 3-6 light beers a day everyday without hangovers, but I ultimately want to stop altogether. I just function better, and don't feel trapped when sober. I started drinking less to ween, but it 'feels' less of a priority subconsciously because I'm not hungover in the mornings.

That middle paragraph is just to show where I stand at the moment, but did you prepare, plan, and have everything ready before embarking on a serious stint of sobriety? Did you force yourself to exercise incessantly to where alcohol just became a hindrance to your workout and health goals?

People change slowly, but it seems the transition from alcoholic to sober-person is an abrupt change that requires a lot of work in terms of self-change in order to succeed. I know everyone is different, but I'd love to know some of the mental work and physical work you all have put in to maintain your sobriety.

Thanks in advance. This is the most difficult endeavor I've ever faced.