View Single Post
Old 09-18-2017, 04:27 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Obladi
Life Goes On

I agree with going to see a psychiatrist who specializes in substance abuse. Any medical professional I've seen with that expertise has frowned on benzos. I'm prescribed a number of medications for anxiety and depression, none of which are addictive and as long as I take them, that discomfort is bearable.

Once I was sober a month or so, the anxiety got more prominent and the depression less so. My therapist says this is not unusual - once the depression starts lifting it can unveil the underlying anxiety. Two years in you may be experiencing post acute withdrawal and/or you may be dealing with unresolved anxiety that's just a part of your background or makeup.

As you can tell, I am not in the least bit opposed to medication and I personally don't agree with hard-liners who are absolutely against it. As long as it's prescribed by someone who knows what they are doing! My medication does not make me feel high or otherwise outside of myself and it's helpful for now. One day I may be able to start eliminating some, but in the meantime I'm going to keep going with what works.

O