View Single Post
Old 09-26-2005, 10:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
nocellphone
Cruelty-Free

Very true, best... As I re-read my post, I see how I implied in a way that meetings are all that are needed to recover. I certainly did not mean to put that message across. In my recovery toolbox, meetings are but one tool I can use for my continued growth.

No matter how many meetings I attend, there are still 23 other hours left in the day in which I need to put to use the tools I've been given. As I mentioned, recovery is a lifestyle choice for me, one that I employ wherever I am. I've heard AAs speak of "wearing recovery like a loose garment". A friend in Al-Anon says that what's important to her is that she "suits up and shows up." (it's a good thing too 'cos, much as I love this woman, she's 70 and I'm not sure that she should be running around nekkid... )

My point, had I been more eloquent, was that I have known non-alcoholics who have died as a direct result of the disease of alcoholism and that I believe this happens frequently in the form of suicides, homicides, drunk-driving victims, fatal cases of child neglect and elderly neglect, accidental shootings (hunting "accidents"?), intentional shootings... the list could go on.

As far as attendance at meetings, I like what I heard once: when you're feeling bad, you may need a meeting; when you're feeling good, a meeting may need you!

Thanks for the eye-opener, best!