View Single Post
Old 09-17-2017, 10:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
KG77

My experience is that when I started seeing a therapist who was a chemical dependency therapist their views of benzos (mine was xanax) are completely different from GP and mental health who are not trained in chemical dependency. I was told that the benzos basically affect your brain in the same area and in the same way that alcohol does. (This is why they are used in medical detox) So it was pretty much like taking a small sip of alcohol and telling my brain that's it, that's all you get, deal with it. Obviously that was never going to cut it. I stopped taking xanax over a year ago. I have had depression and anxiety issues for as long as I can remember, and my CD doc and CD therapist work really hard to find the right combo of medications that are both effective and NON addictive. I want to stress that's just my experience though maybe you could seek out a therapist who has a lot of experience and specializes chemical dependency? And see what they think. To be completely transparent though, I am on day 2 (again) with no alcohol. Do what you think is best for YOU.