View Single Post
Old 09-17-2017, 03:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
honeypig

ads, welcome to SR. I'm sorry to hear that you're in this situation and I am also afraid for you. While it may not seem "that bad" to you, this IS abuse. In particular, putting his hands on your throat is a sign that much worse may be very near.

The abuse and the drinking are 2 separate issues, even though it looks like the drinking "causes" the abuse b/c the behaviors tend to occur at the same time. Most alcoholics are NOT physically abusive, and even if he gave up drinking right this second, it would likely not change the pattern of abuse.

I'm sure this isn't what you pictured or wanted when you planned the wedding. No one expects to have to sleep in a locked room in order to be safe from the man she married!

Please take some time to read through the threads here: https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...out-abuse.html (About Abuse)

We do have a number of members on the forum who have direct experience w/domestic violence, or DV. They will be able to share their experiences with you. But please, be safe in the interim, and please do call your local DV center as soon as you can. They won't make you do anything you don't want to do, but they can provide a lot of education about abuse and the resources that are available to you.