Old 09-15-2017, 07:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Everything has to change. A change of personality, or as one doctors put it "unless this person can undergo a complete psychic change, there is very little hope of his recovery.

That is the business AA is in. Complete psychic change through a spiritual experience, the result of working the twelve steps.

But you can't do AA. I have met a few like you over the years. Been in that place myself one time. The nurses at the rehab call them "our frequent flyers". They are running out of options. The system is tired of spending money on them and getting no result. Friends and family have given up. The options are getting less and less.

Our AA group very occasionally gets one off the merry go round, but most continue the cycle until they are either found dead, or they join the korsakovs ward. No one else is really interested. Too much disappointment in dealing with these ones.

To be doomed to an alcoholic death or to live by spiritual principles are not always easy alternatives to face. The first thing I did was to thrash around looking for the third alternative. There wasn't one. I chose to swallow my pride and change everything via the spiritual path. My pride could have been the death of me.