View Single Post
Old 09-26-2005, 12:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
CassyK

Well, I think that is three people now telling me to RUN. Have I taken the advice? No. Why? A few reasons. I am a helper normally. I tutor learning disabled, visit sick old people, etc. He is a good man and has been very honest with me - telling me he is going to lie to me about his addiction. Ironic. So far the relationship is platonic, so emotions will be kept at a controllable level. I think he is pushing me away of his own accord. He knows he is likely to hurt me. In fact he has advised me as you all have to NOT GET INVOLVED. His progress seems to be good in detoxing. But who knows what he doesn't tell me? He payed me back the money I used my credit cards to pay his bills with. Anyway, my plan of action is to be there if he needs me for anything positive - take him to the grocery store, watch a movie with him, help him clean his house (motivational purposes mostly). I will not become attached to him, and will be very careful with letting him take advantage of me, as I have read the naranon postings, and realize what he is likely to do in active addiction.

It is not difficult to tell the difference between this man trying and this man using. If I see a pattern of use, I will just sever relations. I really believe he is going to succeed, but am very aware that he may not.