Old 09-05-2017, 06:18 AM
  # 254 (permalink)  
Daucuscarota

7 mos today without a drop, and yet last night I had a drinking dream.
In the dream it was a holiday and I started drinking wine with everyone else without even giving it a second thought---in fact I didn't know how it happened, no decision was made, but all of a sudden I was holding a glass of wine and drinking it. Right away, I wanted more---I wanted the whole bottle.
I woke up so relieved that it was only a dream! It was a good reminder for me of why I can never have another glass again----because I will never be able to control it.
It's funny too that I have not even thought about drinking lately. We had family staying with us for a week who drank every day (but only one or two beers each per day----they are from a country where that is part of the culture), and I was fine with drinking soda while sitting with them---did not have to argue with my AV at all. They left a few bottles of beer in our refrigerator, one of them half opened, but it does not tempt me at all. Very strange how the mind works.

If I even think about drinking again, I remember the terrible anxiety---I NEVER want to feel that again.

Another thing that has happened is that I have recently confided in a few close family members and friends that I had a drinking problem and that I have quit (when I quit 7 mos ago I did not tell anyone).

Kudos to all who keep getting back up on the horse again. I am very proud of you all.
This is not my first try to quit, but this is my last, and you will do it too.