Thread: No shame
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2017, 12:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
MindfulMan
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by azwakeupcall View Post
I see absolutely no reason to "out" oneself as gay or alcoholic. Neither are actually conditions. One is a sexuality that is actually nobody's business, and the other is a term with a very ambiguous meaning. If you choose not to drink, it shouldn't be because you're an alcoholic, but because you're sober. People love to define others into neatly packaged groups, usually for the purposes of stereotyping, judging, or otherwise making rash decisions on their character without first knowing the person.

That's just my two cents.
Telling friends and family helps keep you accountable in case of relapse. There's no need to tell everyone you know, but if possible, if an employer knows that also holds one accountable.

Programs with the least amount of relapse include the threat of losing a license (nurses, doctors, lawyers) and with regular and random drug testing. Again, accountability.

It also allows those close to us to offer support.

As for coming out as gay, trust me, living in the closet is hell, leads to shame, and bolsters any residual internalized homophobia. Being gay IS part of one's identity, and doesn't carry nearly the amount of social stigma and shame that it used to.

I absolutely cannot advocate for living in secret for being gay. Problem drinking should be selective, as it does carry a strong social stigma.