Thread: No shame
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2017, 01:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
joandmelandhan

Thomas I hear you and often wish it could be the case. Sometimes I find myself wanting to blurt it out to friends but I don't. I think often it's the actions of the active alcoholic that many cannot separate from the moral conduct of that person when in recovery.
For example a friend of mine at work found out that her hairdresser had been convicted of drink driving. She immediately changed hairdressers and went on to anyone who would listen about how abhorrent this person was. No thoughts about the circumstances. No thoughts about whether this person had a problem. Now of course drink driving is not only illegal but it is also terribly dangerous and irresponsible of course. However, it is one of a list of things that an active alcoholic may end up doing.
That conversation I had with my friend served as a bit of a warning shot to me that whether or not I am in recovery my alcoholism would instantly change the way I am viewed by many people I know. The people I love know and the recovery community know. That I have to accept. The fall out to my life and career of others knowing could be a disaster.
Can I see this changing? Not for a very very long time no. Mental health issues and being gay are only just peeking into the realms of acceptability so alcoholism? I just can't see it.
I am not ashamed of being an alcoholic but I am ashamed of things I have done when in active alcoholism. Actually not ashamed no but I am sorry they happened and I try to use them as one of many reasons why I cannot go back.
I do think that the shame of alcoholism does prevent many from seeking the help they need. That's the worst part of it. I have put myself through some horrendous cold turkey as I was too frightened of my doctor finding out. That can't be right can it?
Time will tell Thomas I guess. I do believe that mental health and alcoholism and dementia are ticking bombs to our health service. But unfortunately I for one am not up for being an "out and proud" alcoholic as sadly the world out there isn't the safe caring environment that it is here.