View Single Post
Old 09-25-2005, 09:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
kvp138

Friend asked for money

Glad I found a site like this! I have a friend who's been a heroin addict for at least a year. She got married to a guy that used to use but now he is using again and so is she. They have a 2 year old too. She told me about a year ago she was addicted but doesnt seem to be doing anything about it. She doesnt work and her husband has trouble holding down a job now. I finally told her to talk to her family about her problem and she did but when I talked to her mom on the phone she said my friend wasnt really open to the treatment options her mom(a nurse) laid out for her. Well every time I go home and she looks worse and worse and mentally seems to be on edge. I've never been an addict but used to smoke pot and experiment with other drugs in my early 20's. Many of my friends now are addicts of one thing or another.

I have since joined the Army to get away from my home town and it has been very positive for me. To the surprise and relief of my parents I am now a responsible and independant member of society I am on the other side of the country though and rarely get to go home. For the 1st time my friend called me (leaving a message) today asking for money for her electric bill as its ready to be shut off (her mom told me she wont give her any more as it just goes into her arm). I didnt call back cause I didnt know what to do. I couldnt decide if I should lie and say I was low on money this month or to be blunt about what I really thought. I decided not to call back at all and have spent all day on the net looking for some sort of info or support. Actually I love her more then just a friend but she is married now. I even had the crazy idea of trying to convince her to leave her husband and marry me as my army benefits might cover the costs of drug rehab. However I've spent some time today on this site and realize that I'm a codependant. I think. She has got to hit bottom before she really tries to quit. I'm just afraid she wont survive it. I just want to save her but dont think that I can. Well I've only scratched the surface of what these forums have to offer. Will read more.