Old 09-03-2017, 12:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
PuzzledHeart

He said, because if he was allowed to drink, then he wouldn't have to sneak a beer. The only chance he gets to drink a beer without me knowing is on his way to work..
I'm sorry, all that says to me is that he REALLY likes his beer.

Your husband knows that you don't like him drinking. Yet he chooses to stay with you anyway. You don't like him drinking, but at the moment you choose to stay with him. Neither of you can have it both ways.

That said, he also chooses to put his job in jeopardy, just so he can have a beer. He likes beer more than he likes to keep a job? Seriously?

And the whole "You forced me to..." routine. You didn't force him to do anything. You didn't put a gun to his head before work and tell him to drink. You told him what makes you unhappy, and it was totally UP TO HIM to decide what to do with that information.

When I was looking for a partner, I had a whole series of deal killers that ended the relationship immediately. Racist. Out. Homophobic. Out. Inability to eat anything else besides Italian or American food. Out too.

On the surface, that last deal killer seems really petty. But 1) I really enjoy eating and trying out new things. 2) I also wanted a partner who was amenable to traveling. A limited palate was not a good sign. 3) My parents are immigrants, and I didn't want family dinners to turn into a battleground when my partner refused to eat anything they cooked.

You may argue that my reasons for the last deal killer are still petty, but I know who I am and that is the deal.

Your husband knows you. You don't want him to drink. That is the deal.
You know your husband. He wants to drink. That is the deal too.
What you decide to do with that information is completely up to you.

SR is a great place. Keep posting.

PS. My husband eats everything.