View Single Post
Old 09-03-2017, 07:16 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
mfanch
Recovered

Yes.

My AH got sober 18 months after I did. We were married about 11 years at that point. We are going on 20 now. I was told to focus on *MY* recovery and the rest would take care of itself. Even today, I worry about my side of the street and he worries about his. I came to realize that the only way to change HIM was to change ME. (We can only change ourselves.)

These days, there is only one meeting a week where we both go at the same time. We even have different home groups. We don't take each other's inventories (too much lol). We can joke about the other's program in a loving way.

I will add that marriage counseling helped us a lot. We both had a PLAN and we followed our plans. He went to his therapist/meetings/steps with sponsor, and I did the same. After about 8 months, we re-engaged in the marriage work and started couples counseling.

It was a lot of work for us, but well worth it. It is like I got a redo with my best friend. I'm glad I set my ego aside and did the work. There is a 'whole nother' level to our relationship now, one built on spirituality.