View Single Post
Old 08-31-2017, 12:10 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Berrybean

If Lifering is where you feel comfortable, then stick with that. But whichever route you choose please go for it and actually DO it. Whatever the plan is. Dabbling is rarely enough.

Just to explain my take on the notion of 'Insanity', as I understand that it can seem a harsh word to use. Nowadays someone might choose a different word or phrase, but Bill W wrote the Big Book a while back now, so some of the word choices can seem odd: I don't think anyone comes along and actually likes the idea that their thinking - their way of dealing with situations - was actually what got them into trouble. I for one had a BIG old list of other people and events and circumstances and situations that MADE me drink. Nowadays I can see those things didn't 'make' me drink. I used all of them as an excuse to drink. And rationalising drinking, and even believing my own rationalisations, that was not sound thinking. And if none of them had happened or been there, I'd probably still have chosen to drink. Rationalised it in other ways - made different excuses that I quite possibly was the only person to believe. And the drinking made all those things worse, because it let to further irrational behaviour and poor choices and irresponsibility. For someone with a BA and an MA after their name from a top university, that's pretty sick thinking in my mind! It wasn't stupidity that led me there - as I learned, in my case intelligence was no match for insanity. I can only speak for myself, but I maintain that my way of dealing with and reacting to life was insane when alcohol was involved. For a couple of decades. So I needed to relearn ways to deal with life on life's terms. To halt my learned reactions and do the right thing. And that's not so uncommon amongst alcoholics.

Anyway - good luck with the lifering, and I hope all goes well tomorrow.

BB