Old 08-30-2017, 07:10 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I remember looking at the steps on the wall in my first few meetings, and there were some up there I thought I would never do. So I started with step one, and kept an open mind about the rest. As time went on I would feel the need to take the next step, usually when I saw that there was a good reason for it. The reasons were not apparent to me at the start.

The program is not really about telling you where you are going wrong. In fact it doesnt tell you anything, not even to stop drinking. It says we assume the reader wants to stop. The reader may ask "what do I have to do" and our response is to tell you what we have done, and why.

So I would take a look at a step, listen and read up on why, what was happening to them, how they were thinkinge etc, compare what was being said with my own experience, and from there decide whether or not to proceed.

Step two is quite useful. It is the point at which we would choose our recovery method. AA is the only spiritual one, and in step two we express a willingness to believe that the same power that helped them possibly could help us.
If we are unwilling to believe that possibilty, then we might well select some other method which we believe will enable us to recover.