View Single Post
Old 08-30-2017, 05:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by leanabeana View Post

I have not delved into the 12 steps yet and I'm not sure if I will. I've been to two meetings and I enjoyed them but I'm not sure it's for me. I don't like being told my thoughts or emotions are wrong (diseased thinking). I just want to be able to share and get some understanding and perspective. I've been going to LifeRing and I feel very comfortable there.
In your shoes, I might well stick with Life Ring. I read those promises that BB posted way back and at the time they didn't mean anything to me. They were just words describing things I had never experienced. In the early days of recovery, AA is not about comfort so much as it is about hope that a much better future lays ahead.

If I had found something that made me comfortable now, and it wasn't a p.ill or a drink or a smoke, I think I would only consider AA again if I somehow became uncomfortable and felt here was more to it.

As alcoholism is a brain disease, visible on an MRI scan, it is a bit hard to have alcoholism and not have a diseased mind.