View Single Post
Old 08-29-2017, 12:39 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
biminiblue

Gabe, I think as your recovery progresses you'll come to understand that a lot of recovery is just regular life skills, too. Anna sees a lot of people go through here and many of us let others dictate to us how we "should" act and what we do.

The thing that got me into recovery in 1989 was that I was trying to make my mother and my husband happy. I worried about everyone else's feelings - in the meantime I was drinking to cope with their constant disapproval. Nothing I did was good enough for them. One day I just threw up my hands and said, "Ya know what? Both of you can take a flying leap." That was the beginning of my recovery.

Turns out I am in charge of me. Their thoughts/requests/requirements etc. are of no concern to me. They can no longer influence me to do things I feel are not right for me. That led to my being able to stop my people-pleasing behavior in general. It almost cost me my life, and I can't put others before me any more. I can only do me. I try to stay in my own little lane and others can have all the suggestions/requirements/invitations/temptations they want. Not my business.