Thread: i relapsed
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2017, 04:44 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I am glad you made it back ST, and what a wonderful family you have. Mine took me in when they saw I was serious about recovery, and it made a huge difference.

Maybe you have learned something that a lot of people miss. Berry bean alluded to it earlier. Just not drinking and going to meetings does not treat alcoholism.
No doubt you have met folks that seem to be able to stay sober this way, but it is a far cry from what is really on offer in AA.

I worked the steps at a good pace. It took about three months for the promised spiritual experience to happen and my life changed completely. Part of the deal is I can go anywhere anytime and not be concerned about picking up a drink. The big book calls it safe and protected. That is what freedom from alcohol is about. Not just freedom from having the substance in your body, but freedom from it having any influence in your life whatsoever.

The big book talks about not withdrawing from life just because your friends drink liquor. They encourage us to get into the mainstream of life. And we will be fine, provided we have the right motives. The steps are about true freedom. In a way, the don't drink and go to meetings path is Really a second rate deal, much closer to palliative care than real recovery.